lunedì 14 aprile 2014

Me, myself and I- Gayane Simonyan

Author: Gayane Simonyan

I'm Gayane Simonyan from Armenia who passed 2720 km to get to Florence, Italy on April 8 and who is happy to explore “Bella Italia”.



I was born and raised in Yerevan, the capital of Armenia. My homeland is located at the crossroads of Western Asia and Eastern Europe. It is bordered by Turkey to the west, Georgia to the North, Azerbaijan to the east and Iran to the South.

After getting my Bachelor’s degree in linguistics in Armenia, I decided to change my major a little bit and I moved to Tbilisi, Georgia to get my Masters’ in Journalism and Media Management. So, now I'm a second year student at Georgian Institute of Public Affairs (GIPA), faculty of Journalism and Media Management. The program is strongly supported by US Embassies in Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan. In cooperation with South Carolina University, GIPA is inviting professional reporters, editors from USA to share their professional experience and knowledge with us-students.

According to the curriculum we go for internship to the foreign countries other than Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan. We are free to choose our hosting organization, company, agency, etc.

I, always having a dream to visit “Bella Italia” had a clear target where to go. Searching for different opportunities in Italy I ended up with finding a perfect match: 2- month-internship at Istituto Europeo (http://www.istitutoeuropeo.it/).

My decision to pursue the internship at Istituto Europeo is underscored by my desire to be a part of professional working staff at this Italian University, share my knowledge, gain more experience and of course to get to know many different people from different parts of this beautiful world. One of the most important advantages of the university is that it spellbinds young minds like me who have the zeal to combine theoretical study with research and practical work putting enthusiasm on it.

As one of these young minds who wish to opt for technically challenging career filled with excitement of setting a goal and finding ways, no matter taugh or rough- to get to the goal-point and to impliment it using various techniques and skills-has led me into applying for this internship and offering to put my standard, non-standard and creative ideas into the further development of Istituto Europeo.

I'm here to write various articles, make photos and videos about dreamy Florence like:

  • A video and/or a photo- story about life in Florence providing information where to go, what to do.
  • An exhibition at Palazzo Strozzi a Firenze called "Pontormo and Rosso Fiorentino" on April 15 devoted to the work of the two famous painters Pontormo and of Rosso Fiorentino.
  • An article and photos how Easter is celebrated in Florence organizing special events every day from April 17 to 21.
  • Gelato Festival to be held from April 24 to May 1
I'm interested but not limited only in these topics, so if you are interested, you can simply follow the updates.

As a student at GIPA, I gained basic journalism skills using the latest techniques of professional reporting and writing for both print and the broadcast media. I also took courses of Journalism ethics, Programming, PR; chose Media Management track to get more management techniques and key knowledge fields like economics.

As GIPA students we produced radio and TV newscasts and short video stories, photo reportages, some of which were put in NewsCafe (http://news-cafe.gipa.ge/index.php/en/) a student media available in Georgian and English. So, these skills will help me in covering these

My innate enthusiasm for facing formidable tasks and my will to learn and implement new things, aided me to get through various stages of my academic life with flying colours.

So, this is a great opportunity for me to show, to use all the knowledge and practice gained, and it will help me go deeper in my major as a Journalist and Media Manager, and what is more important, to see how Journalism works outside Caucasus region.

Benvenuti in Italia – Welcome to Italy.